Cumuls Broadcasting Operations Manager in Pensacola, Florida
Operations Manager/Program Director
CUMULUS MEDIA – Pensacola (WCOA NewsTalk 1370AM, Pensacola's Jet 100.7 FM, My Magic 106.1, Soft Rock 94.1, and NASH FM 102.7) is seeking a talented Operations Manager who can spin a lot of plates and thrive in a fast-paced working environment. We are identifying driven individuals with a proven track record of achieving audience ratings and digital growth goals. We offer a unique career opportunity to realize your full potential as a programming professional including opportunities for career growth.
Candidate must be a strategic thinker with an advanced understanding of how to increase ratings for a cluster and for individual radio stations in a variety of formats. He or she must be a strong leader who believes in setting high standards and holding employees accountable for results. This candidate is willing and able to identify, develop, and motivate talented employees and be willing to do things differently than done before especially when prior plans proved to be ineffective.
This candidate has demonstrable digital expertise. This position also requires a true partnership with the sales, business, traffic, and engineering departments. Candidate must have a background in client relations and a solid knowledge of radio sales including endorsement, remote, non-traditional revenue and event/concert planning.
- Sets standards and directs all operations related to the programming and promotion of a radio station inclusive of streaming stations, websites, text clubs, social media outlets, and on-site presence whether in a promotional sense or related to revenue (i.e. sales remotes). Develops strategic and tactical plans to increase the number of listeners and viewers engaged with all these assets.
- Fills role of programming leader in support of company and market decisions proactively and positively. Compiles weekly company reports, etc. punctually and completely. Attends and contributes positively in required company webinars, staff and department head meetings.
- Monitors market competition and make strategic recommendations on how to increase the Cumulus Media, Inc. ratings, website and social media shares in light of any competitive moves or opportunities discovered. Competition is primarily radio but includes other media taking share of attention away from our products and assets.
- Responsible for overseeing and/or scheduling and supervision of board operators, including but not limited to education on all FCC rules and protecting the station form any FCC infringements which could endanger the licenses, public affairs compliance, networks, barter partners, contesting rules and regulation impacting on-air operation including the use of appropriate tools for the same.
- Maintain current knowledge of trends in research, music for variety of formats, and imaging. This includes participating in appropriate weekly format conference calls.
- Supervises and holds Program Directors, Production Director, Digital and other programming staff accountable in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. Monitors all stations, streams, websites, and social media platforms in the cluster through formal means (i.e. Monitoring sessions, air check sessions) and informally (random listening, website checks) and making improvements and corrections. Responsible for identifying the training and cross-training needs of these employees to be fully and independently operational (including cross training) and provide a talent bench for the cluster and the company.
- Fills the role of Program Director for 2 to 3 stations including music revisions and music library maintenance, scheduling special music weekends, managing special station features and service elements, log merging, reconciling, checking and editing logs, creating station imaging, logging promos, conducting promotions. Clock work as needed in tandem with Traffic Director.
- Fills the role on on-air personality for at least 1 radio station for at least one full shift (i.e. M-F WMEZ 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.) expertly demonstrating best practices of show prep, voice tracking, social media posting, on-site appearances, and client interaction including endorsement client sales solicitation support, etc.
- Hold regular programming staff meetings, both full and individual, keeping staff informed of company, legal, and station directions and procedures.
- Provide operational counsel to station programming employees with emphasis on productivity, cost, technology and production capabilities.
- Maintains “bridge’ between Programming and Sales goals. Works with Market Manager, Sales Managers, Promotions Directors, and AE’s to meet client expectations when expected (i.e. Remotes, contest execution.) Works with sales, promotion director, etc. to identify opportunities to grow revenue through partnerships with programming such as sponsored features, contests, NTR events, endorsements, website promotions, etc.
- Works with engineer on engineering/IT punch list with regard to priorities and aids in communicating the engineering priorities within the programming staff. Troubleshoots technical difficulties and rectifies whenever possible including responding to the silent sensor when programming system reboots are necessary and communicating with engineer for off-air issues.
- Assure atmosphere of creativity and openness, focus, responsibility, collaboration, and empowerment. Makes decisions utilizing the filter of “highest and best use” on use of time and resources. Sets example of “Being a Leader” (sales lead referrals) and holds programming staff accountable to the same.
- Responsive to phone calls, emails from coworkers, clients, and listeners in a time frame appropriate to the situation (i.e. on-air emergencies, complaints) and never exceeding the 48 hours rule.
High School Diploma or GED is required, College degree preferred.
For immediate consideration, please visit www.cumulus.com/work-here/
For more information about Cumulus Media, Inc., visit our website at: https://www.cumulus.com
Cumulus Media, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Location: Pensacola, FL